Joy In Jesus

Thoughts and Ramblings of a christian stay at home mom..Thoughts about the christian life, Reformed theology, homelife, church life, books, music... etc..!

Monday, February 20, 2006

My Inheritance

How unexpectedly God blesses us! Oh how He satisfies me with His steadfast love. Oh Lord! Thank you so much for the beautiful gift of being satisfied in You! One day I was “wishing” for a deeper intimacy with the Lord Jesus, I can’t even say I prayed for it, I was just longing for it.

In God’s great mercy, kindness and grace He heard my cry!
I heard an old hymn on one particular morning and God totally encouraged my heart and increased my affections for Him.

“His Eye is On the Sparrow” (Civilla D. Martin, 1905.)

Why do I feel discouraged?
Why do the the shadows come?
Why does my heart feel so lonely
And long for heaven and home?

When Jesus is my portion,
A constant friend is He.
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy.
I sing because I’m free.
For His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me.

I was so encouraged by the remembrance of this song. I was reminded of God’s ever watchful eyes upon me, of His constant care.

The word “portion” caught my attention and I looked up it’s definition. The meaning of the word as used in Psalm 73:26 : “My flesh and my heart my fail but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!” and in Psalm 16:5 which reads: “ the Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup, You hold my lot.” is: Allottment, share, allowance… and further confirmed by Numbers 18:20 telling us that God himself is our portion and inheritance.

So as we sing this hymn and read the psalms we see that God is our inheritance! JESUS is our inheritance! What greater inheritance can there be?? Heaven is wonderful, but if Jesus weren’t there would we want to be there? Of course not! Jesus himself is our inheritance.

The truths from this hymn taken directly from scripture that Jesus is our portion and inheritance AND from Matthew 10:30-32 “But even all the hairs on your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my father who is in heaven” increase my affections.. remind me of God’s gracious gift of himself through Jesus Christ and his constant watchful care over me.

How kind of God to increase my affections for Him, drawing me into deeper intimacy with himself, and I didn’t even ask.. he heard my wishful longing….

My friends, draw near to God, and he will draw near to you! Abide in His Word and believe His great promises and your affections for Jesus will increase and you will be satisfied in Him alone and when this occurs God is greatly glorified!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home