Joy In Jesus

Thoughts and Ramblings of a christian stay at home mom..Thoughts about the christian life, Reformed theology, homelife, church life, books, music... etc..!

Friday, November 04, 2005

Surviving? ....nay, Persevering!

I confess publicly that I am a watcher of the TV “reality” show Survivor. ( I am fascinated by this show!  For those who have been spared getting drawn into the watching of this show let me explain it to you in its simplest form.  A group of 16 individuals are transported to some exotic, isolated island somewhere in the world and  are separated into 2 tribes (teams) where they compete tribe against tribe for rewards (usually some yummy food or some necessary supply such as matches or cooking utensils) and for immunity.  Whichever tribe wins an immunity challenge the individuals of that team are exempt from being voted out that night. The tribes are left to find their own food, make fire, find potable water etc.. thus the survival aspect of it. Eventually, when the combined number of individuals from both tribes is down to about 10 they merge into one tribe and begin competing against one another for the ultimate prize of 1 million dollars. Only one person can win! This game gets nasty! Rarely can a person participate without succumbing to selfishness, lying, slander, etc in order to win. In fairness to the show there have been a couple of seasons where a few of the participants let it be known that they were Christians and a actually won the million! It is between them and God whether they got there with their integrity completely intact. I believe they did, but I wasn’t there, so what do I know!!!! (

Okay, so why all this Survivor talk? I’m sitting here this morning watching my Tivo’d episode of last night’s survivor episode thinking how opposite the culture of Survivor is from our Christian journey. Last night at my 50th birthday celebration God reminded me of how many friends, brothers and sisters in Christ that I have to run this race with me! We aren’t competing with one another to win this race; we are running this race together. I received so many words of love and encouragement. I was overwhelmed.

God has given us the blessed gift of community so we can run this race in fellowship and unity, in care and compassion for one another. If, on Survivor, someone falters the others are happy because this increases their chances of being the one that survives to the end. In the Christian community and in the local church when one falters there are ones who come around to help! Sometimes help comes in the form of a listening ear, or an encouraging word. Sometimes it comes with practical help such as making a meal, visiting in the hospital and sometimes it comes in the form of speaking into someone’s life, gently and humbly helping someone see a sin that they’ve been blind to. In all these things the point is to help this person to continue to follow Jesus completely, to be brought back to a place of gazing at the cross, of trusting in God fully and completely! What a JOY to have these friends in our life! We are not supposed to be isolated as Christians. We are not in competition with one another; we are here to live this life together, to encourage one another, to care for one another, to help keep our focus on Christ alone!  This glorifies God! To borrow a phrase from one of my favorite authoers, John Piper, living this way is “for our good and God’s glory.”

I thank God that Survivor is not a reflection of the church, of the Body of Christ. I am praising God today for my brothers and sisters in Christ, for those who will whack me upside my head when I need to be whacked… ( They will encourage me when I need encouragement and will rejoice with me when I am rejoicing and will weep with me when I am weeping; that will pray for me when I need prayer, will pray with me when I am interceding.

I was so encouraged and blessed this entire week as people helped me celebrate my birthday. I am reminded of the great gift the body of Christ is! Of course the greatest gift I have is Jesus. He is my inheritance. What a life! I don’t have to “survive” but by the grace of God and the sure promise of His work in me I will persevere!

English Standard Version (ESV)

Hebrews 10:24-25 (English Standard Version)
24And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Romans 15:5-7 (English Standard Version)
5May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, 6that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 7Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 12:25-27 (English Standard Version)
be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. 27Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.
Ephesians 2:20-22 (English Standard Version)
21in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. 22In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.
“God thank you so much that I don’t have to “survive” this life on earth, that by your grace and mercy , by your faithfulness and steadfast love I will persevere to the end. This is your promise for the elect. I am so grateful Lord for the people you have placed in my life, for my husband, my children, my church, my pastors, my friends etc who you have placed alongside me to run this race with me! Mostly Lord, I praise you and thank you for YOU are my inheritance. I respond Lord with thanksgiving and praise, I pray you will help me obey you and keep your commands. Thank you for your faithfulness! Thank you for the body of Christ. You are indeed so great. Increase my faith Lord, increase my love for you Lord, draw me nearer and nearer to thee. In Jesus, precious and holy name. Amen.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home